Sunday, July 12, 2009

Southern Fried Cabbage

Last week, I made Vegetable and Herb Coleslaw with the cabbage in our CSA bag. So when we received cabbage again this week, I wanted to make something different. When I found this recipe, it inspired a whole Southern dinner theme. I ended up serving this dish with shrimp and grits.

Both McHubby and I enjoyed the cabbage prepared this way. I was careful not to cook the cabbage too long to the point of sogginess; rather, it still had a bit of crunch to it, and the supporting flavors of the onions, garlic, and bacon came through. 

Adapted from:
Southern Fried Cabbage

Ingredients
3 slices bacon, cut into ¼-inch strips
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 head cabbage, cored and sliced
1 white onion, chopped
1 clove garlic
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pinch white sugar

Directions
Place the bacon into a large pot over medium heat. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until bacon is crisp. Add cabbage, onion, garlic, vegetable oil, and sugar to the pot. Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook and stir continuously for 5 minutes, until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment