Tuesday, July 7, 2009

First CSA Summer Harvest

McHubby and I bought a mini share with a CSA (community supported agriculture) at Potomac Vegetable Farms. I've been looking forward to the start of the summer share season for months and just couldn't wait to see what we would get! For our first harvest, we received sweet onions, summer squash, cucumber, red-leaf lettuce, basil, garlic curls (also called scapes), and cabbage. I used the onions, squash, and basil in a lovely Corn and Zucchini Sauté with Basil, I made a Greek salad using the lettuce, I prepared a Cucumber Salad, and I made Vegetable and Herb Coleslaw out of the cabbage.

I wasn’t familiar with the garlic curls, so I simply chopped them up, sautéed, and added to a salad. They had a soft, sweet, subtle garlicky flavor when sautéed. I hope I come across them again. And I'm looking forward to the next CSA harvest!

No comments:

Post a Comment