Thursday, May 14, 2009

Contessa's Tuna Salad

I must confess that I was less than enthused when I saw this Barefoot Bloggers selection. However, after reading the recipe more closely as well as the online reviews, I realized that this was not the classic mayonnaise-based tuna salad that initially comes to mind. I mean, I've made tuna salad for sandwiches a thousand times, but never have I included such ingredients as wasabi powder, soy sauce, or even avocados, much less cooked my own fresh tuna steaks for the mixture. Now, I was intrigued. (I should have known better not to doubt—after all, this is the Barefoot Contessa!)

This recipe was wonderfully fast and easy to prepare, (which is such a blessing when trying to get dinner together after a full day at work and a rough commute home). I used sashimi grade tuna and low-sodium soy sauce for this recipe. Also, since it seemed to have a bit of an Asian flair, I used Sriracha sauce instead of Tabasco. When ready to serve, I plated the tuna salad atop steaming hot rice. (I use short-grain brown rice, preparing it in my rice cooker.)


I have to say that McHubby and I both thought this dish was delish! I will definitely make this one again and again. Thanks to Kate of Warm Olives and Cool Cocktails for selecting this recipe and forgiving my initial hesitation!



Source: Tuna Salad, Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients
2 pounds very fresh tuna steak, cut 1-inch thick
4 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, plus extra for sprinkling
½ teaspoon coarsely ground black, plus extra for sprinkling

2 limes, zest grated
1 teaspoon wasabi powder
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (3 limes)

2 teaspoons soy sauce
10 dashes hot sauce (recommended: Tabasco)

1 to 2 ripe Hass avocados, medium diced
¼ cup minced scallions, white and green parts (2 scallions)

¼ cup red onion, small diced


Directions
Brush the tuna steaks with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

Place the tuna steaks in a very hot sauté pan and cook for only 1 minute on each side. Set aside on a platter.


Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the olive oil, salt, pepper, lime zest, wasabi, lime juice, soy sauce and hot sauce. Add the avocados to the vinaigrette.

Cut the tuna in chunks and place it in a large bowl. Add the scallions and red onion and mix well. Pour the vinaigrette mixture over the tuna and carefully mix.

1 comment:

  1. I loved this dish and great call on the Sriracha as opposed to Tabasco. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete