Thursday, March 12, 2009

Chicken Piccata

I was excited to see this dish as the next Barefoot Bloggers selection, (thanks to Noodle Nights and Muffin Mornings). I’ve made this recipe before, and not only is it a pretty easy dish to prepare but it’s also delicious. I included capers since many piccata dishes have them, and I like the flavor they add. I paired this dish with a salad of mixed greens and lemon vinaigrette.

Source:
Chicken Piccata, Barefoot Contessa at Home

Ingredients
4 split (2 whole) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 extra-large eggs
1 tablespoon water
1 ½ cups seasoned dry bread crumbs
Good olive oil
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature, divided
⅓ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 lemons), lemon halves reserved
½ cup dry white wine
Sliced lemon, for serving
Chopped fresh parsley leaves, for serving

Directions
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Place each chicken breast between 2 sheets of parchment paper or plastic wrap and pound out to ¼-inch thick. Sprinkle both sides with salt and pepper.

Mix the flour, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon of pepper in a shallow plate. In a second plate, beat the egg and 1 tablespoon of water together. Place the bread crumbs on a third plate. Dip each chicken breast first in the flour, shake off the excess, and then dip in the egg and bread crumb mixtures.

Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium to medium-low heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for 2 minutes on each side, until browned. Place them on the sheet pan and allow them to bake for 5 to 10 minutes while you make the sauce.

For the sauce, wipe out the sauté pan with a dry paper towel. Over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter and then add the lemon juice, wine, the reserved lemon halves, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Boil over high heat until reduced in half, about 2 minutes. Off the heat, add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and swirl to combine. Discard the lemon halves and serve 1 chicken breast on each plate. Spoon on the sauce and serve with a slice of lemon and a sprinkling of fresh parsley.

4 comments:

  1. Look at all those capers! I really wish I'd thought ahead and picked up a bottle of them. I'm getting jealous of all the caper covered piccatas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your piccata looks beautiful, so golden and buttery. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job! I wish I had thought to use capers. They look delicious. Thanks for the visit to my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with you on the capers, I love them in my piccata!

    ReplyDelete