Sunday, February 15, 2009

Vanilla Sugar

I admit that I have a long-standing unabashed love affair with all things vanilla. Naturally, I couldn’t resist making some vanilla sugar. I used Tahitian vanilla beans in mine. With the added vanilla beans, my sugar container now has such an intoxicating and irresistible scent. I usually try to substitute some vanilla sugar for regular sugar in sweet baking recipes.

Source:
Vanilla Sugar, Good Eats (Alton Brown)

Ingredients
1 vanilla bean, whole or scraped
2 cups granulated sugar

Directions

If vanilla bean is whole, slice down side of bean with back of knife and scrape seeds into airtight container with the sugar. Bury bean in sugar and seal tightly with lid. Let sit for 1 to 2 weeks. Use as regular, granulated sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment